Thursday, January 21, 2021

Hospitable (WC)

 


(Wendy Cabell, January 21, 2021, feast day of the above Saint Meinrad, special patron of hospitality, and of Saint Agnes of Rome and others; and of the Comfort Icon of the Mother of God.)


Hospitable



1. At Home



Floors clean,

and windows clear

and air a pleasing flow.


Incense sparks,

candles glow,

things now in

neat little rows.


And less of it.

Much less of it. 


Reality check,

Much to do. 

But 


it's coming,

I can feel it,

Inauguration of home.



2. At Table



Over here, Flo. Yeah, I like this table too. Careful, the tea's pretty hot. Oh, well that makes sense. That's why your name is Flo. It's what you need. Well, I've about had it with this house mess too. I'm serious Flo, you have an ally here! Noooo, I can't just throw ~everything ~ away. And I need to go through it first. I know, I know, I want to scream too. And have. [Laughing now,] you think I haven't had that fire fantasy too? Thanks for the offer Flo. Really. But we don't have home insurance or anything, remember. We'd be in a bad way. Well, couldn't we start with water instead of fire? Wouldn't cleaning help? Even a little? I'll hand you the matches, I promise, light all the candles you want. 

But dear, could you stand right beside me as we sort this stuff? Ready to go with the flow?




*From prompt: What would like to inaugurate in own life this new year; and sitting down at table with one's anger, to chat with as with a friend; from Seattle's Hugo House Quarantine Write-in with Naa Akua, January 21, 2021; and by encouragement from the women's retreat group at Saint Mary's Catholic Church (Tulsa, Oklahoma) to pay special  attention to the Saint of the Day this next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arkway (WC)

  (Wendy Cabell, November 1 (revisted May 5, 2024, Orthodox Easter/ Pascha  and feastday of Our Lady Queen of the Apostles), All  Saints  D...