Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Desktop Prayer (WC)


(Wendy Cabell, August 2, 2020, feast day of (above) Saint Elijah in old calendar Eastern Orthodox Church, and Peter Faber in Catholic. Image from here.)


Desktop Prayer

(after Clare Munkres)



Lord of page and ink and things

Since I’ve not the umph to be

A saint by doing saintly things

Like hours spent on knee or

Wakening by light of dawn or

Getting dressed by ten,

Make me a saint seeking Your muse and

Playing with this pen.


Although I may have weary hands, 

I have an open mind

And when I skate yon spacious page,

Thy roadmaps Lord I find.

I think of how You formed the earth,

Your Word its very core           

Accept this meditation Lord,

I haven’t rhyme for more.


Warm all these scribblings with Thy love,

And light them with Thy peace

Forgive me all my rewrites and make

My ramblings cease.

Thou who didst love to give men verse,

In room or by the sea

Accept this service that I do,

I do it unto Thee.


Amen.




*From prompt: craft a copycat poem (I chose Clare Munkres' Kitchen Prayer, as challenged by Doug Yunker, Tuesday Writers Group (Waldport, Oregon), August 2, 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arkway (WC)

  (Wendy Cabell, November 1 (revisted May 5, 2024, Orthodox Easter/ Pascha  and feastday of Our Lady Queen of the Apostles), All  Saints  D...