Friday, June 7, 2024

And Mom still calls me Wendy bird (WC)

 


(Wendy Cabell, June 7, 2024, Rosh Chodesh (new moon) of Sivan, Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, World Day of Prayer for the Sanctification of Priests, and feast day of the Apparition of Saint Joseph in Cotignac, Blessed Anne of Saint Bartholome and Blessed Basilissa Fernandez. On Jewish calendar today is (above) Flood Waters Recede (2105 BC). Image from here.)



And Mom still calls me Wendy bird



that summer I was 22, first time flyer

the stewardess glides through her routine 

seasoned travelers close their eyes

and for me the surprise comes at take off

this familiarity of sky –- See, I’m far 

more rooted here than I ever was 

on sound ground



*From prompt: Freewrite as inspired by the etymology of fear and excerpts from “I was a roller coaster girl” by jessica Care Moore. From Lisa Freedman’s BreathReadWrite, June 7, 2024. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Green Above//Green Below (WC)

  (Wendy Cabell, July 11, 2024, feast day of Our Lady of Carmine ("painting shows the infant St. John the Baptist pointing to the Chil...